Armed robbery at Nicolway shopping centre
Nicolway Shopping centre in Bryanston is the latest casualty of an armed retail robbery. Today, Tuesday 12 August, just after 11:00, approximately seven armed suspects entered the shopping centre intent on robbing the local jeweller in the centre.
Shots were fired at the shop front window by the suspects who also used axes to try and break the glass. Charnel Hattingh, National Marketing & communications Manager for Fidelity ADT, says they received a panic signal from the group’s telecoms customer on the lower level. They were alerted there was an armed robbery in progress and the Fidelity Specialised Intervention Units immediately responded.
Hattingh said fortunately no one was injured in the crossfire but the suspects managed to get away with some watches and jewellery before making off in a white GTI Golf and white Renault.
“Unfortunately we are starting to see more and more of this type of brazen crime as the economy worsens and we caution all shoppers to be particularly vigilant,” she says.
In the unfortunate incidence you are caught in the middle of a mall robbery Hattingh provides the following hints and tips:
If you are in the store that is being robbed:
· Co-operate with robbers for your own safety. Listen to their instructions closely and follow their instructions
· Try and keep as calm as possible. Everyone reacts in a different way but try and breathe deeply until help arrives
· Do not use your cell phone whilst the robbery is in process, this could agitate the assailants
· Immediately try and find a sheltered spot and keep low on the ground
· Take note of the assailants to pass information on to the authorities i.e. what they were wearing, any distinctive clothes, markings, jewellery etc. Try and remember what they look like i.e. height, weight, etc.